skip to Main Content

Family of Il Divo star Carlos Marin accuses British doctors of failing to save singer

The family of tragic Il Divo star Carlos Marin have questioned the treatment he received at the UK hospital where he died last Sunday, his lawyer admitted, while fans have been told that ‘they will be able to say their last farewells at a vigil in Madrid tomorrow.

The 53-year-old lost his fight for life almost a fortnight after being admitted to Royal Manchester Hospital and tested positive for Covid.

His sister Rosa ended days of speculation over the cause of his death earlier this week by revealing that he caught the Delta variant and attacked his lungs, leaving him in a medically induced coma in intensive care.

Alberto Martin, who helped Spaniard Carlos bring a mad fan to justice in September after writing a series of X-rated letters and letting him endure sleepless nights with death threats, said: “I have spoke with her mother on the day of her death and she was saying that she was convinced that if she had been in Spain, he could have survived.

“We don’t know if it was because of the care he received or the natural course of the virus and if Carlos’ mother said what she said out of desperation that she feels lost, but the point is they failed to get him to keep him alive

“This is something that we will have to analyze when we see all the medical documents, because we believe it is time to get his situation under control and to make things better so that he can get out of this and save his life, which was the most important thing. “

He added in a Spanish TV interview: “We sincerely didn’t think we were going to see this terrible result.”

The family of Il Divo star Carlos Marin (pictured), have questions about his treatment at Royal Manchester Hospital where he died last Sunday

Fans will be able to pay tribute to the baritone, who was one of four classically trained singers in the crossover group Il Divo created by Simon Cowell. He will be buried on Tuesday after a public vigil in Madrid tomorrow afternoon (Marin pictured on the right in 2019)

In separate comments published by Spanish daily El Mundo, the Madrid-based lawyer added: “The family are not happy with anything because they are heartbroken.

“We did not anticipate this situation, neither the evolution nor the outcome.

“We can’t explain it because he had improved, his lungs were working on their own but suddenly everything deteriorated.

“The intubation had to be changed and from there the outcome was fatal.

“I heard Carlos’ mother say that if he had been in Spain, maybe he could have been saved.

“When we see the medical reports, we’ll know why he didn’t come out.”

The baritone, one of four classically trained singers who were part of the crossover group Il Divo created by Simon Cowell, will be laid to rest on Tuesday after a public vigil in Madrid tomorrow afternoon.

The singer’s family have said that supporters and admirers who wish to pay their last respects to Carlos will be welcomed tomorrow afternoon at a funeral home between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.

The public vigil at Saint Isidore’s funeral home in the heart of Madrid will take place after friends and relatives of the baritone attend a private vigil in the morning.

Sharing the news of his tragic death, comrades of Carlos’s Il Divo group (second from left) said last Sunday that it emerged that the Spaniard had been admitted to intensive care and intubated. Photo, from left to right, David Miller, Carlos Marin, Urs Buhler and Sébastien Izambard in 2019

A message from his family, shared with details of the public vigil, stated alongside a photo of him in the signature Armani suit he will be buried in: ‘Carlos Marin, October 13, 1968 – December 19, 2021. Resting in peace.

“We invite you to say goodbye to him on his last trip. “

Carlos Il Divo’s teammates David Miller, Sebastian Izambard and Urs Buhler, are expected to join his family in a private vigil earlier before leaving before fans arrive.

His body reportedly reached the funeral home over the weekend after being repatriated from the UK following his death just 53 years old from Covid at the Royal Manchester Hospital.

He is due to be cremated after a mass and his ashes placed on Tuesday in the Our Lady of Almudena cemetery, the largest in Madrid and one of the largest in Western Europe, alongside those of his father in a family niche in accordance with his last wishes. .

His sister Rosa, who traveled to Manchester to be with him with ex-wife Geraldine Larrosa, revealed earlier this week: “Carlos will be buried in his favorite Armani costume, the one he used for his performances on stage, so that he can go to heaven watching the part and can sing along with the angels. ‘

Rosa said her brother died after being infected with the “delta variant of Covid”.

She told respected Spanish daily ABC, confirming comments from her lawyer Alberto Martin 24 hours earlier that he may have waited too long to go to hospital and been vaccinated against Covid: ” He received the Janssen vaccine which is a single dose vaccine.

“He started to feel bad after arriving in Manchester. He tried to be strong and fight back, but ended up having difficulty breathing and asked to be taken to the hospital.

“When he arrived they did some tests and found out it was Covid.”

Revealing that a relative, whom she did not identify, was with him when he died and “held his hand until his light went out”, she added: “His lungs were very compromised and could not beat the virus despite the best treatment available. ‘

French-born artist Geraldine Larossa, better known by her stage name Innocence, said after nearly a week of silence in a clear demonstration of the great relationship they had despite their divorce in 2009: “The Most people already know this but I say it again because I want the whole world to know it.

“Carlos Marin was and always will be the great love of my life.

“She’s the nicest and most generous person in the world.”

Marin’s ex-wife, French-born artist Geraldine Larossa, better known by her stage name Innocence,

Writing her emotional tribute in Spanish on Instagram alongside a photo from the couple’s wedding at Disneyland in 2006, she added: “We were going to repeat this moment but it doesn’t matter because I know the universe will bring us together millions of times.

“He will marry us a million times, I have no doubts.

‘I love you with all my soul. Your goddaughter loves you like crazy. I know you are there by my side and next to our family but you have left us a huge hole in our lives.

‘I love you my dear. Your voice, your happiness, your affection and your humor are imbued in my soul. ‘

Sharing the news of his tragic death, the comrades of Carlos’s Il Divo group said last Sunday after it emerged that the Spaniard had been admitted to intensive care and intubated: “It is with a heavy heart that we bring you let it be known that our friend and partner, Carlos Marin, has passed away.

“He will be missed by his friends, family and fans. There will never be another voice or spirit like Carlos.

Simon Cowell, who was among those who paid tribute to the singer, wrote on Twitter: “I find it so difficult to express what I’m feeling right now.

“I am devastated, Carlos Marin has passed away. He loved life. He loved to play and always had a lot of appreciation for the fans who supported the group from day one. Rest in peace Carlos. I will miss you.’

Simon Cowell’s crossover band Il Divo have sold 30 million copies of their albums worldwide since the group’s inception in 2003.

Carlos Marin last posted on Instagram on December 6 in a snap alongside his group mates, a day before he was admitted to hospital.

In a statement before his death in which they did not name Carlos as the sick man, the group said: “Unfortunately, due to the illness, the remaining dates of Il Divo’s UK tour in December 2021 have been postponed to December 2022.

“Il Divo is deeply sorry for his fans, but looks forward to getting back on the road in the New Year and seeing you all as Christmas approaches.”

Back To Top