skip to Main Content

A fire in a business park in Colchester closes a veterinary clinic

Firefighters averted disaster by acting quickly after a fire broke out at a pet store.

The fire started at the back of the Pets at Home store in Colne View Retail Park on Cowdray Avenue, Colchester.

It was triggered by an electrical device that had been left on charge overnight and caught fire.

About 20% of the retail unit was in flames and it was completely smoked out.
However, only the veterinary practice, Vets4Pets, remained closed yesterday. No animals were injured in the fire.

The alarm was first triggered at 11.08pm on Wednesday when the smoke detector sounded and the key holder discovered evidence of a fire.

Three fire crews rushed to the scene, two from Colchester who are also based a few yards away and one from Clacton.

They brought the fire under control until 12:15 a.m. Thursday.

The room where the fire started suffered extensive damage, but fortunately the rest of the building remained intact.

Read more:

• County Girls’ Secondary School appealed to parents to fill vacancy

• Tom Saunders trial: killer sentencing date set

• “Colchester Debenhams could be a fantastic asset”

Colchester Fire Station Crew Chief Luke Beardmore said: “Colchester and Clacton crews worked very hard in difficult conditions.

“Thanks to their rapid intervention, we were able to prevent the fire from spreading to other areas of the building.

“The fire was caused by equipment that was left on charge overnight and caught fire.

“We encourage everyone to monitor electrical devices while charging and to avoid leaving devices charging overnight.

“Batteries can quickly overheat if overcharged and are a regular cause of fires in Essex.”

Contacted by the Gazette for comment, a Pets at Home spokeswoman thanked the firefighters for their efforts.

She said: “We would like to thank the firefighters for their quick response to a fire at Vets4Pets Colchester.

“No co-workers or pets were harmed in the incident and the store remains open and trading as normal.

“The veterinary practice is currently closed while we examine the damage and we have contacted customers who have made appointments with us.

“Local support practices are currently being put in place and we will keep customers informed of developments via our social media pages.”

Back To Top